- Human Subjects (IRB)
- IRB Resources
- Are you conducting Human Subject Research? If you are unsure whether your research is actually classified as HSR, you can consult our SOP (PDF).
- Paying Human Subjects: There are policies and procedures from Special Funds Accounting which must be followed when paying participants in Human Subject Research. The Special Funds Accounting procedures and related forms can be found here.
- Data Management: Does your funding source require a Data Management Plan? The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs has prepared a guide.
- Educational Research Resources: Watauga County School District has a policy on the use of students as research subjects by an external agency, such as faculty, students, and staff of ASU. Before any research can be done with students from this district, please review this policy.
- The following link is from the Office of Human Research Protections and offers guidance on a variety of research topics: Helpful IRB Resources
- Are you trying to connect to campus resources while off-campus? This ASU website provides ways to connect to campus while away from campus.
- Are you travelling with PHI data? Please see this FAQ for more guidance.
- If you have further questions, use this IRB FAQ as a reference.
- Data Protection: Human Subject Research often includes the collection of private identifiable information. Researchers should be aware of steps to take to protect this information. Two good resources are the Harvard University Research Data Protection page or Appalachian's Identity Theft Prevention page.
- Normal Educational Practice: One category of exempt research is studies that involve normal educational practice. Appalachian is developing a set of definitions and tips on "normal education practices." In the meantime, a good reference to learn more about this type of research can be found on the University of Connecticut's IRB perspective.