The following links are Appalachian resources to help researchers understand the policies, procedures and guideliness for animal care and use:
- Appalachian's policy on Care and Use of Animals for Research Teaching or Demonstration
- Appalachian's policy on Animals on Campus
- Appalachian's policy on Pets
- Appalachian's policy on the Use of Recombinant DNA in Research and Teaching Laboratories
- Appalachian's Environmental, Health, Safety and Emergency Management Office
- Appalachian's policy on Personal Protective Equipment
- Appalachian's policy on Respiratory Protection
- Animal Welfare Act and Regulations
- USDA Animal Welfare Information Center
- Regulation of Agricultural Animals
- Animal Welfare (Animal and Plant Health and Inspection Service - APHIS)
Public Health Service (administered by the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare):
- Public Health Service (PHS) Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- Guide for the Care and Use of Animals
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
Regulatory agency that monitors compliance with PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- OLAW FAQ
- NIH Medical Research with Animals Website: Resources for Researchers and Institutions
Links to funding opoortunities, grant writing guidance when animals are involved in research, emergency preparedness resources for animal facilities, etc.
- NIH Animal Research Advisory Committee (ARAC) Guidelines Webpage
Numerous guidelines and procedures on animal care and use.
Online IACUC resources
The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals In Research
- SCAW - Scientist's Center for Animal Welfare
- North Carolina Association for Biomedical Research (NCABR)
- aboutbioscience.org - North Carolina's Bioscience Clearinghouse
- The Laboratory Animal Management Association
This Association is dedicated to enhancing the quality of management and care of laboratory animals throughout the world.
- American Psychological Association Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in the Care and Use of Animals
- Altweb The global clearinghouse for information on alternatives to animal testing
- Altbib A bibliography on alternatives to animal testing
- Watauga County Agricultural Cooperative Extension office